My husband bought me a Kindle 2 for Christmas in 2009, I have loved it. The weight saved in the laptop bag has been worth it.
However, I really wanted to start looking at a different e-reader that was a little more versatile and have been looking at the Nook Color, (maybe because I am a sucker for Angry Birds), but also for pure visual appeal, especially with the ability to have book covers and organize them.
Also wanted the option of getting e-books in some other formats and from my local KC bookstore, Rainy Day books. This wasn’t an option with Amazon.
So, here is my Nook Color vs. Kindle 2 Pro/Con List Review
Pros: Nook Color
- Color screen
- Better Web Navigation
- Sudoku and Angry Birds
- Ability to customize screen
- Ability to load and view pictures
- No need for a book light
- Book shelves and views of book covers
Cons: Nook Color
- Wi-fi Only
- Shorter battery life
- Heavier and bulkier
- Store both on website and on device difficult to navigate
- Price compared to current Kindle versions (when I got my Kindle the price was actually about the same as the current Nook Color price)
Pros: Kindle 2
- Battery life
- Book selection and Bookstore navigation
- Reading in full sunlight and at pool (with a simple plastic bag cover you can still turn the pages)
- e-ink screen less eye strain and doesn’t have the keep you awake effect of most computer screens.
- Fits in a medium size purse
- Huge selection of cases
- Physical Keyboard
Cons: Kindle 2
- 3G only – no 3G service from Sprint (like at my sister’s house), then no dice on the downloads (new Kindle 3 has option for 3G + Wireless)
- No usable web navigation. Can only really use text based sites.
- Not well suited for games.
- Must get a book light for night reading.